Find the answer to all your questions on this page.
- What are the conditions to make the descent of the Ardèche?
Be at least 7 years old, know how to swim at least 25 meters without being afraid of being under water.
- What distances can we do?
5 km – About 1h15 paddle time
7 km – About 1h15 paddle time
12 km – About 2h30 / 3h00 paddle time
24 km – About 4h30 / 5h00 paddle time
31 km – About 5h30 / 6h30 paddle time in 1 day or 2 days with bivouac
36 km – About 7h00 / 8h00 paddle time in 2 days with bivouac
7 + 24 km – 1h00 / 1h30 + 4h30 / 5h00 paddle time (Pack Eau Vive 1) without bivouac
12 + 24 km – 2h30 / 3h00 + 4h30 / 5h00 paddle time (Pack Eau Vive 2) without bivouac
- What are the highlights of each descent?
– L’Estivale : 5 km – 1/2 day (canoe slides)
– Mini Descent : 7 km – 1/2 day (rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc)
– Maxi des Minis : 12 km – 1/2 day / 1 day (canoe slides, rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc)
– The Gorges de l’Ardèche : 24 km – 1 day (nature reserve of the Gorges de l’Ardèche)
– The Gorges de l’Ardèche : 31 km – 1 day (rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc, nature reserve of the Gorges de l’Ardèche)
– Descent in 2 days : 31 km – 2 days with bivouac (rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc, nature reserve of the Gorges de l’Ardèche)
– L’Aventure in 2 days : 36 km – 2 days with bivouac (canoe slides, rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc, nature reserve of the Gorges de l’Ardèche)
– Pack Eau Vive 1 : 7 + 24 km – 2 days without bivouac (rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc, nature reserve of the Gorges de l’Ardèche)
– Pack Eau Vive 2 : 12 + 24 km – 2 days without bivouac (canoe slides, rapid of le Charlemagne, Pont d’Arc, nature reserve of the Gorges de l’Ardèche
- We have finished our descent, how do we get back to our car?
A shuttle bus will bring you back to the starting point.
For the short descents, there are multiple return times. Return time to be defined before starting (subject to availability).
For the long descents and the descents in 2 days, arrival takes place between 3.30pm and 5pm in Sauze. Our shuttles busses leave when they’re full. You will get more information about your return before you start your descent.
The return times are indicative and depend on the arrival of our customers, traffic on the road and any unforeseen situations. On busy days, additional waiting time must be taken into account.
Book your descent
- Is it necessary to book? Or can we come directly without booking?
It is always better to book your descent in advance, especially during Il est préférable de réserver d’avance, surtout during peak periods (Ascent, Pentecost, Ardèche Aluna Festival and in July/August). If you book in advance on our website, you will benefit from our special rates and save time on the day of your descent.
It is also possible to come directly without a booking, the counter rate will be applied and during peak periods it might happen that we are full and you will be refused.
- How can we book?
We advise you to book on or website, to benefit from our special rates.
You can also book by calling us at 0033 4 75 37 17 79 or by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or come directly to one of our Bases.
- How can we pay?
At our 2 Bases, we accept the following payments :
For bookings online, we only accept payment by card. If you wish to pay cash, please send us your booking by mail or telephone.
- We are a group, do you have special rates for groups?
We apply reduced rates from 10 people. When you book on our website, the rate will be adjusted automatically. You will find our group rates on the page “Rates“. For a quote adapted to your group, do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email.
- We want to make the descent with a child under 7 years old, is this possible?
If you want to do the descent with a child under 7 years old, you can only do it with a guide. For more information, please contact us at 0033 4 75 37 17 79, on WhatsApp au 0033 7 82 72 72 03 or by mail at email@example.com.
Cancel a booking
- Can we cancel our booking ?
To cancel your booking, we ask you to contact us 48 hours before the scheduled date of your descent by phone or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. A full refund will be made in the following cases:
– Force majeure: death, hospitalization, illness… (upon presentation of proof)
– Prohibition of navigating on the Ardèche due to unfavorable weather: orange or red vigilance or a flood of the Ardèche
– Government decisions due to a pandemic
– If the decision to cancel the descent comes from us.
For any cancellation without proof/valid reason, a fee of €5.00 will be deducted from the amount of your refund.
Refunds will be made by bank transfer within 15 days.
If the announced weather is unfavorable but not dangerous (big storms, orange or red vigilance…), the descents are maintained.
If you still want to cancel your descent, you have 2 options:
We can give you a credit, valid for 2 years
We can shift the date of your descent
- Where do we find the starting point of our descent?
To know the starting point of your descent, please consult the page of the descent you are going to make. Be aware, the starting point may differ depending on the season.
We have 2 different starting points. You will find the acces to these points on our page “Access“.
- We are beginners, we have never been canoeing, can we do the descent all the same?
The descent of the Ardèche river is accessible for everyone (children from 7 years old). You will get an explanation of your descent before staring. Difficult passages will be explained and you will be given some landmarks. You will need to know how to swim at least 25 meters without being afraid of being under water. The minimum age to do the descent is 7 years old.
- What do we need to take on our descent ?
Shoes attached to the feet (sport shoes, sandals, water shoes…)
Food and drinks
Sun protection (sun cream, sun glasses, hat, t-shirt…)
Plastic bag for telephone, camera, papers…
String for your glasses
Dry clothes for after the descent
- What equipment do you lend us?
Double paddle and a canoe/kayak sit-on-top
Life jacket, obligatory during the whole descent
Container to put your things in (we can not garantuee the watertightness, this will depend on how its user closes the container).
- Do we need to wear a helmet?
Helmets are not obligatory on the Ardèche river. We can still provide it to you on request.
- Will you explain us the descent? How will we know where to stop?
Before starting, we will give you an explanation of your descent. We will also show you the arrival point and explain to you the return by bus. If you have questions after this explanation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
- We want to do the descent in 2 days, how to book the bivouac?
For the descents in 2 days (31 km or 36 km), you will need to book your places on the bivouac. You can make this booking on the page of the descent of your choice.
- We are doing the descent in 2 days, how should we take our tent on the boat? Is there room for all our things?
Tents do not fit in our containers. We advise you to put it in a large garbage bag and tie it to your boat (bring a rope).
A container of 55 liters per person is provided for you to put your belongings for the 2 days. Be careful, if you have a child in third place, you will only have room for one container.
- We are doing a descent in 2 days, what is there in the bivouac areas??
On the bivouac areas, you have at your disposal sanitary facilities, a first aid station and barbecues with charcoal..
- Can we bring our dog?
Yes, it is possible to bring your dog on a descent.
The dog must know how to swim, not be afraid of water and we strongly advise you not to tie him in the boat and to remove all that is leash or collar.
- We have finished our descent, how do we get back to the starting point?
On each arrival, our team is present to collect your equipment. We keep lists with the names of the people who left on the descent, when you arrive a bus is waiting for you to take you back to your starting point. Return times are indicative and depend on the arrival of our customers, traffic on the road and any unforeseen situations. On busy days, extra waiting time should be expected.
You have questions for which you have not found an answer? Contact us by phone at 0033 4 75 37 17 79, by email at email@example.com or by WhatsApp at 0033 7 82 72 72 03